Life's little twists and turns don't follow a specified recipe. I'm definitely okay with instability, amidst daily comforts, of course. This little bloggy is a firm example of random-ness. Truth defined by yours truly. Enjoy, or not, a peek into skewed opinions and spurts of subpar brilliance.

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Express yourself.

Holiday cheer and snow have kept me from my vigorous state of reflective writing. And let's face it, I'm such a deep, esoteric soul - I gather most people find me a tad mad. As it goes, I can't help but share my deliberate - a few may argue - ignorant, musings. Perhaps they're solely for me, and one other degenerate who accidentally falls upon this note.

Regardless, my latest contemplation: Thoughts v. Feelings.

In my contemplative mode, I must define the two in my little brain. But of course, thoughts convey to the listener what we are thinking, which are often referred to as cognitions. Feelings convey to the listener our emotional and/or physical states. Emotions can be distinguished as “feelings,” and physical feelings, as “sensations.” How we effectively express this data is important. Bottom line is this: it’s all data—feeling or emotional data, and thinking, cognitive or intellectual data. But the real significance lies in the ability to accurately send the data; the more accurate, the greater the chance at being appreciated and understood.

Sounds simple enough. NOT.

It's not an easy task, as it forces people to let down their guards, and to be put in a defenseless, exposed spot. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but many people struggle with this part of their authenticity. Who wants to be a susceptible sitting duck with a 12 gauge staring down the noggin? (Do ducks get shot in the head even? I really have no clue. What is a 12 gauge anyway? I really have no clue. This example really sucks.) I think I have a point though. Expressing oneself is, and again, not easy. Especially when it comes to the expression of feelings. Even so, most people want to be both appreciated and understood, and thus, an exploration of effort worth your while.

For fear of going on to the point of oblivion, let me finally stop here, and make this blurb worth the read, by extending to you the objective of how to be a successful sitting duck. I'm certain we've all heard the expression, I feel therefore I am. Okay so, not exactly verbatum, but close enough. Here's the cinch: Expose yourself. Or better yet, and if it helps, look to Madonna for personal influence. Although maybe not as philosophically-Rene Descartes-sound, she definitely has a convincing way of expressing this persuasion.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It would be a very bad idea to shoot a duck in the head, not to mention nearly impossible since when huntin duck they must be in flight to legally shoot them. A 12 gauge is a type of shotgun. The gauge refers to the size of the shell being shot. The smaller the gauge the more powerful the gun. I hope this helps ;-)