Life's little twists and turns don't follow a specified recipe. I'm definitely okay with instability, amidst daily comforts, of course. This little bloggy is a firm example of random-ness. Truth defined by yours truly. Enjoy, or not, a peek into skewed opinions and spurts of subpar brilliance.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Make a better place for you and for me.

I had a moment today - taken from several times spent wondering how things have come to be in my life. Today, it came together, following a deeply hard and heartfelt cry. I often get asked, "What brought you to your career?" And often, I don't have a clear cut response, other than, "My profession chose me, I didn't choose it." Truth is, there are many factors that led me to what I do, but it's a culmination of events throughout my young life specifically, that have brought me to my 'work'.

Michael Jackson's memorial took place today. I expected emotions, but nothing like what happened to me as I sat watching the televised coverage of this historical event. A few weeks ago when I discovered his death, via text no less, I was in a state of shock. This shock had persisted until today, when I was faced with his emotional memorial service. One filled with what I suspect Michael Jackson would have felt adequate and a true honor to his life. As it goes, most of my friends will tell you I never have had any qualms about expressing my love for MJ. In the midst of his hard times even, I stood tall and professed myself a fan. Without a doubt, Michael Jackson was a humanitarian and his music crossed racial barriers and connected to the hearts of millions of people all over the world. I can't recall anybody in my lifetime having an effect such as this. I'm skeptical another will.

Nevertheless, the remarkable memorial service evoked in me emotions I didn't even know were there. Shedding tears, I watched the remembrance of Michael Jackson's love, shared by people who respected and loved him as an artist, an entertainer, as a brother, friend, and as a son, but mostly as a human being who did for mankind with a sense of grace and dignity, not to be matched by many. As my emotions mounted, my recollections of my childhood came to the forefront. A vivid memory of me at five years old flashed before me as I watched USA (United Support of Artists) for Africa perform "We Are the World." The authentic and undeniable feeling at that time in my young life has never escaped me, one of being tied to this plight of service to the sick, hungry and impoverished children of Africa.

At eight years, this same little girl sat mesmerized by the "Man in the Mirror" video, a single, coincidentally released on my birthday, with footages of various news events such as the John F. Kennedy and the Robert Kennedy shootings, Live Aid - with unforgettable images of starving children in Africa -and notable people including Martin Luther King, Mother Teresa, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, Ronald Reagan, Mikhail Gorbechev, and Adolf Hitler. As the years progressed, I bought all of his albums and confirmed "Rock with You" to be my favorite tune of all time. Only later did I find out this was top of the Billboard charts the day and year of my birth. Perhaps just another coincidence. I'm convinced, however, I jived to these beats in my Ma's belly - and as they say, the rest is HIStory (1995).

No matter the case, I knew why I was crying with such great sensation, and with such sincere passion and affection - Michael Jackson, his music, the images of life (and strife) he provided the world, he handed directly to me, too. As a young impressionable girl, I received the gift and internalized it in a way that has helped me pave the path for my life. His inspiration has incredible meaning in my life, and it is in his death that I can safely say, his life gave meaning to mine. I'm not the only one, as millions upon millions will miss his presence, but thankfully he left behind a legacy - one that will indubitably stand the test of time. Love for humanity isn't a trend, and Michael certainly knew that. Although Michael Jackson was a true original, his life and impact were anything but.

"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself, and then make a change." I couldn't have said it better.

4 comments:

hmh411 said...

Yes....very sad...almost surreal. I am watching all of the tributes tonight...and I am tearing up. I remember in 6th grade when my friends and I did a dance to the song "Bad." I also remember Debbie loving him so much. You were obsessed with him...even when everyone called him a freak or a child molester....you stuck up for him. I remember listening to all of his songs on our road trips....his music provokes soooo much emotion and memories for me....it is almost hard hearing it. I don't want to feel sad anymore. "Smile what's the use in crying.....smile though your heart is breaking....smile you may be tomorrow...you'll find that life is still worthwhile if you just smile " This was MJ's favorite song....maybe we need to listen to it and do exactly as it says. Although, he is no longer here....his music will remain forever....he managed to give so much not only through his music, but through charity....his beautiful children will sooo miss him and I really feel for them. However, it was evident that they have a strong family behind them and will not be alone. Wow....what a time this is....so much history this year...almost like the summer of 68, but really the year of 2009.

hmh411 said...

Debs....I can't tell you how much I thought of you when I heard he died. I knew how much you loved his music....we grew up with it being such a part of our lives....let's not let that go...love you. Wish I could hug you!!!!

Shyanna said...

The Way You Make Me Feel will always be my favorite Michael song to dance to. Man I love getting down to that song! The Earth Song will forever remind me of why I love Michael Jackson's music. The angst and passion with which he sang all of his songs, but especially that one is something that has always inspired me and made me want to be the best person I can be for this earth, for others and for myself. Long live the music of the King.

Anonymous said...

Like yourself I have always been a fan of Michael Jackson. Your comments about Michael Jackson really touched me. His song 'Childhood' relates to my life and I have always recognized his need for love and acceptance. Thanks Debbie, you said it all & more.