Life's little twists and turns don't follow a specified recipe. I'm definitely okay with instability, amidst daily comforts, of course. This little bloggy is a firm example of random-ness. Truth defined by yours truly. Enjoy, or not, a peek into skewed opinions and spurts of subpar brilliance.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Inhale inheritance, exhale extravagance.

Tradition is generally a good thing in my book. I almost believe in certain role playing when it comes to the male/female species (feminazis, take a breather and relax.) But when it comes to dating, or initiating an encounter, I have a little trouble with how my role is to successfully play itself out. I'm definitely, what I would call, too cool for words, which is a problematic problem to have. Sometimes I try to 'cool' the coolness down, for my own good, but find the diluting of cool-drip counterproductive. All the same, my uber-off-the-radar cool factor often gets in the way of reality. Because let's face it, when shit hits the fan, we're all pretty damn nerdy. The skills we front, the false bravado we exclaim, is deep down, the most inauthentic way to live (side note: if you are in fact a seeker of self-actualization, Abraham Maslow's hierarchy of needs should help you along this road; assuming you have your basic needs met. If you're reading this via your own personal pc/mac, it's a safe bet you have food, water, and air entering your lungage. Move on up the pyramid, and exhale.)

That being said, I'm not going to be cool anymore. Hence, I'm welcoming myself into the 21st Century, although I am still mindful of what my father has told me time and again, "Deb, if a fella is interested, he'll let you know it." I'm also well aware that in addition to the cool that spews through my pores, I can, and do exude an added intimidation-I-don't-need-you-in-my-life persona to many a-men. Or so I've been told I do this, and I've been told one too many times. This ridiculousness has got to stop.

Digging my feet in the ground, I'm at a "now what?" point in the road, which reminds me of a few lines from my favorite Robert Frost poem, The Road Not Taken,

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

For me, the road less traveled will mean I let go of my deep-rooted personal social norms, specifically, when it comes to dating and men. The traditional roles of men and women in our world, not the 1960's folks, but in today's game, have changed somewhat. As it goes, I'm going to roll with the times, or at the very least, try my best. Even though, traditionally, men do the approaching and do the initial phone calling business, it's the women that in all actuality, rein 'em in. So here goes, I can rein 'em in, and I shall rein 'em in! No more cool. No more intimidation.

Dad, I'm still sticking to tradition, but having a little fun with it.

2 comments:

Chris Collins said...

God help us all.

Tara said...

Love that you reference Maslow.

I use Maslow as justification for many of my beliefs.