Life's little twists and turns don't follow a specified recipe. I'm definitely okay with instability, amidst daily comforts, of course. This little bloggy is a firm example of random-ness. Truth defined by yours truly. Enjoy, or not, a peek into skewed opinions and spurts of subpar brilliance.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Goonies and a warm cozy fire.

Both comfort and stability are severely underrated. It's time somebody takes a stand against this backwards sentiment. I have taken it upon myself to give these two fine specimens a five star rating.

Comfort & Stability: "*****" Deb to the Izzle, October 1, 2008.

There, it's official.

Take for example, a favorite pair of jeans, or the same tee you keep coming back to, or the old hometown memories that shift back into view from time to time. These things provide a certain level of comfort for the average person. I personally find comfort and stability in my daily, mundane routines. Brushing my teeth, is a good start. How could I walk out the door in the morning having not scrubbed the enamel and tongue decay before attempting to start out my day? Impossible. My cup o' joe is also an essential. If not, a three-time-a-day essential. My route to work is comfortable. My tunes in the car are stable, perhaps too stable, as I often find myself listening to one track one time too many.

My family, too, provide a high level of stability, albeit dysfunctional, that I could never live without. They're my hunger and source for real connection. A comfort unlike any other. Friendships do the same for me, and I'm thankful for the stable advice they've often giving me over the years. Whether I take it, is another issue altogether. But ya know, the comfort and stability thing can be a bit tricky, as well. As we all get tired of the same old thing, do we not? Out with the old and in with the new mentality. And I am the first to say, trying new things and taking on exciting risks is the way to live life. The only way to live life, in my humble opinion, of course. But this does not mean we have to forget or deny the value that comfort brings. We should, in fact, take more time to be grateful for the consistencies in our lives. Whether that's in an old friend, the perfect converse fit, a boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse, and/or in the laughter and innocence of a grandchild, nephew or niece. Just to name a small few...

It's these things, and many more, that truly bring joy and satisfaction to our lives. Sometimes they appear small and mundane even, but it's the contrary my friends. Yes, the unknown or the seemingly unreachable or unpredictable, appear better than, or perhaps, more adventurous than our current office view. But perhaps, adventure is, just perhaps, a little overrated.

Smile at the simple; Tis a good life defined. And remember, Goonies never say die.

No comments: