Life's little twists and turns don't follow a specified recipe. I'm definitely okay with instability, amidst daily comforts, of course. This little bloggy is a firm example of random-ness. Truth defined by yours truly. Enjoy, or not, a peek into skewed opinions and spurts of subpar brilliance.

Friday, October 10, 2008

One heart, one mind.

I wonder, who's the stronger of the two: the mind or the heart. As I write this, I have no idea where this battle will lead, as I still don't have a clear cut understanding of the matters of heart & mind, and perhaps, never will...

I've heard it said, and often recite it myself, "mind over matter." Is the heart simply matter then? I certainly wouldn't put the heart in a category of such simplicity. Most of us would conclude that its power is a force not to be put into a box. The mind too, has certainly been a helpful tool in my life. When I have come up against an intended roadblock, I have thought my way over the top many times, and with this mindset, have overcome many barriers along my path. But I know that when things have been really tough for me, it's my heart that has taken over, even if, poorly at times. Feelings, emotions - sadness, happiness, joy, sorrow. These things are unavoidable, even if the mind would like to ignore them from time to time. In fact, I have utilized the "mind over matter" technique several times in my life. Especially when it comes to the nature of relationship, whether embracing or avoiding them, I've successfully made rational choices, ignoring my futile heart.

Many of us have been hurt. And as a result, many consequential trust issues develop. (The mind protecting the heart, perhaps?) In my experience, when the heart is crushed, the mind does a good job of stepping in. The heart shuts itself down, while the mind attempts to take over, helping to stomp on the plaguing pain of his very dear friend. The heart is truly thankful of the mind during this time of need, yet all the while, the two continue to fight for control, foresight, and in the overall decision-making process. But because the heart is weakened, the mind takes full advantage of its strength, telling the heart, "You're not capable of handling yourself, let me decide what's best for you."

Eventually, and thanks to the protective mind, the heart heals itself. The mind too, forgets the pain of the broken heart. Or is it the heart forgets the pain and the mind heals itself? See, this is where the confusion sets in. The heart does and will heal, but while it's tucked away for any length of time, the mind becomes stronger and stronger, leaving little room for the heart to inch its way onto the decision-making board. Thus, a lonely heart created.

But what the mind fails to recognize is that the lonely heart is one to be reckoned with. A mind cannot go on ignoring the heart that yearns for something the mind can never provide. It's finally at this point in time that the mind and heart begin a new feud. The mind, concrete in strength, protecting his opposing friend to the point of suffocation, begins to realize, the heart must have a say, or neither will ever be happy.

It's only when this realization comes full circle, that the two can live in unison and in harmony. And, once the healing cycle is complete, the two, together, find the united two, in another - an edifice, truly unbreakable.

No comments: